Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hallelujah!



As many of you know, keeping a 3 year old entertained during an hour long mass can be torture. A few Sundays ago Ed and I were working hard to keep Caden under control and reasonably quiet. I know he was still distracting for those unlucky enough to be sitting in front of us but my philosophy is, if I always take him out of church, he will never learn to just sit there right? Well anyways, on this particular Sunday Caden was doing pretty good. He was even trying to sing along and participate in sections. At one point, the congregation said, "Thanks be to God" and out of nowhere Caden says rather loudly, "Thanks and the dog". Of course this outburst elicits a smile from Ed, a giggle from me and the big boys double over in hyserics (until I shoot them a look like...ok, ok, enough). We compose ourselves. A few minutes later the congregation said, "Blessed be to God". Caden's version? "Blessed be my gum". Background here...if you know Caden, then you know that he holds gum pretty sacred in his life. It is right up there with the toy vacuum and his blue blankie. He will do ANYTHING for gum. This second rather loud outburst from Caden has all of us giggling in the pew. Ed leans over to me and says, "all we can do is laugh right?". It was one of those most precious moments that you want to remember forever. It is not uncommon now for one of us to lean over to the other and say...thanks and the dog!

No comments: